The Oakland Raiders have finally announced the official number of undrafted free agents that they will be bringing in to participate in the team’s rookie camp. The number is the ever-lucky 13. Yes, 13 more camp bodies for Reggie McKenzie and Dennis Allen to look at and evaluate. It seems like only hours after the draft, there were names being thrown around, players announcing they were signing with team A then end up actually signing with team B. The Raiders signed 257 different players those two days immediately after the draft, or at least it seemed like it. By my count, there are now a grand total of 20 rookies on the Raider’s roster.
You have the 6 draft picks, the 13 undrafted free agents, and the basketball player out of Cal State Fullerton (Andre Hardy) that the Raiders signed last month. So here now are your newest Raiders (at least through mini-camp) in alphabetical order to make it easy for all of us.
- Conroy Black CB out of Utah
- Kaelin Burnett LB out of Nevada
- Derek Carrier WR out of Beliot (yes, Beloit…look it up, I did)
- Brandon Carswell WR out of USC
- Dominique Hamilton DT out of Missouri
- Aaron Henry S out of Wisconsin
- Marquette King P out of Ft. Valley State
- Dan Knapp T out of Arizona State
- Mario Kurn LB out of San Diego
- Thomas Mayo WR out of California (Pa. not “the” California)
- Lucas Nix G out of Pittsburgh
- Chaz Powell S out of Penn State (yes, another Nittany Lion)
- Rod Streater WR out of Temple
If history holds true, these guys have a long, tough road ahead of them. The chances of any of these guys making the practice squad is a very small one, let alone making it onto the 53 man roster. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it’s going to be a difficult undertaking. Of the 13 players signed, only 2 were projected to go in a round lower than #7 (Aaron Henry and Lucas Nix) and both of them are coming off of injuries. I, like most of you, enjoy rooting for the underdog so I hope at least a couple of these guys make it. The journey begins this weekend.